Blog Template

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Family Vacation DELETED

The Evans family returns from our one and only total family vacation (all six kids) and find that all photographic evidence has been erased, courtesy of Getty and his video exploits (running around Jackson's yard).
 
Years from now we'll say to each other, "Seems like we went somewhere that summer...." We'll forget that within two minutes of our arrival in St. George, my toenail got ripped off and Elle blistered the bottom of her feet on the 120-degree cement outside our friends' house. We'll forget Buffalo Bill's rollercoaster ride with the Barstow veteran-rider and the old man's suggestion that Michael Jackson should have been burned alive in the town square. We'll forget the cute little beach house we rented in Laguna with its surfboards and sailboats, teen-territory den converted garage, wicker furniture, and hibiscus-flowered bedding (comfy!). We'll forget that Knott's is better than Disneyland any day! Major thrill rides and no lines (I thought I had an iron stomach until I rode 4 of those rides within the first half-hour....) Cy was an inch too short for the big rides, so he hung with Cam on the mini-rollercoaster. I think they rode it fourteen times in a row. And we ran into the Burke's! ("It's a small world after all....") We'll forget how Getty surfed like a pro the day he learned, and MK and Mia begged to surf again the next morning. We'll forget sushi with our surf instructors. We'll forget steak-on-the-stone and Clint's movie-scene tear-jerker monologue with the piano bar "Moon River" playing in the background—ha ha ha ha. I couldn't keep a straight face. And I tried. Hard. We'll forget my swollen lips, an apparent allergic reaction to our dinner at Chili's (was it the chips and salsa, the Mesquite chicken salad, the fajitas, the Southwestern eggroll, the french fries, or the molten chocolate cake and ice cream?... I was hungry). 

Or, maybe we won't forget. No full-color photos, but there's always black-and-white text, right? Then again, how can you be sure I didn't just make this all up?....

6 comments:

Brit H. said...

So FUN!!! I am SO glad that you guys had SO much fun! I knew that you would! I love family vacation!!!

How sad that you lost all of your pictures though! I would have been heart broken. Did the girls take cameras? Any pics on camera phones? Anything!?! Grrr!!!!

Jen V said...

Sounds like a blast! I am so proud of Rob for taking another real vacation!

Your swollen lip might have been from the sun. Several years ago, we went boating for the weekend and somehow my lips got sunburned - I woke up the next morning and I looked like I had a hot dog for a lower lip! Patrick couldn't stop laughing - I couldn't stop crying (as I had to report to work that morning) I wish I would've taken a picture...

Jacqui said...

Oh man! That sounds like a blast, even without the pictures!!

And I'm wondering about Clint's Moon River monologue...

Alli said...

That sounds like fun....but I feel bad that you lost all of your pictures! We had an experience like that before (not good ones)... well, two experiences like that! Ask my mom and she will tell you all about it!!!

Cindy said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad you all had a great time. I would have absolutely cried about the pictures. The kids will still have the memories of the trip even without pictures though. I have very fond memories of all of our family vacations. You could have them all type up some of their favorite memories so they can have that to go back to and remember the trip.

Linda Barton said...

I'm thinking our plan should be to tell the kids that we went fun places but the pics were "deleted". You are always good for some advice!