Blog Template

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Great Expectations

Mia is my biggest helper and mightiest drain. Every day she thinks of what I can do for her and her friends to make their lives worth living. (No extra charge for the guilt trip.) Examples: “Can’t you drive us to Provo (hour round-trip), so we can go to Seven Peaks (for the 3rd time)? There’s NOTHING else to do!! Can’t you pay for it, too?! You can drive to Costco first in American Fork and pick up their $15 passes, so it barely costs a thing!” Or, “Can you take me and my friend to Lagoon (in Farmington [1 1/2 hours round trip] for $41 a ticket). We’re so bored!!! And, and…it’s one of our summer goals! We HAVE to go to Lagoon before school starts!!” Or, “We’re inviting (she’s telling me, not asking) all of the Beehives over tonight to our house for a big PARTY! We’re going to have pizza, pop and candy, movies, games…. It’s going to be the funnest ever!! We’ve already planned everything (for you to do for us)!!!” Or, “Can you take us to the shopping center? We really need to go tanning BAD! Just look how gross and white we are!! And, and… we have to get school stuff, Mom. Do you want me to be unprepared for my first day of middle school?!” Or, “Can you take us out to lunch? We just decided that sounded like fun. So can you?”

Ya. I’ve been known to say if Mia were my only child I’d have my hands full. Tanning?….sheesh. Don’t worry—I’m way too controlling to let her run my life. But it sure is fun watching her get her hopes up!

5 comments:

Brit H. said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I am laughing so hard at that picture right now. LOVE it.

As for the other stuff, sounds familiar. That was my job. For years and years and years. Catering to ones every whim. It was actually pretty fun, when I wasn't the mom and didn't have to worry about 40,000 other things!

Good luck with that one!

Alli said...

Ha, ha! :)

Heather said...

That is so hilarious! I'll bet you're glad she'll be back at school?.... with lots of homework?

Nicki said...

Lorenne, I have forgotten what a witty and smart person you are! In lieu of organizing my week, I have been reading your blog. Totally worth a week of chaos. Take care, Nicki (fowler) C.

Jen V said...

Oh my am I in a world of trouble in the next 8 - 10 years. Maisie has already commandeered my life and is trying her darndest to get me on her schedule.
"Mom, what are we making for dinner" "Mom, don't you think you should make a scrumptious dessert for me and Daddy tonight?" "Wouldn't that be great if you made me a new apron today - what else are you going to do?"

Yeah - uh hu. Ever get the feeling that our girls are mini-me's coming back to haunt us?