Blog Template

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Skittles for Stuff

It occurred to me sometime last week... 

I used to pick up the house (heavy!) and organize the next day before I went to bed. I can't remember the last time that happened.

I used to have a "Daily Plan" I worked off of religiously (and daily). Now I use it maybe twice a week. I scribble out the day on top and write the current day, because the list of things to do is unchanged.

I don't leave the house, because Cy's kindergarten schedule and Elle's nap schedule just plain don't offer an opportunity of more than 15 minutes to run errands.

So, one day last week I actually wrote down everything I did, because I was curious. What in the HELLO do I do all day long?? I found out... I do laundry, dishes, carpool, shower, bathe and dress kids, pick up the house, change diapers, supervise chores, homework, feed kids. Rinse and repeat. 

I do stuff. 

Comforting. It's just that it's utterly forgettable. Or, perhaps I've taken the enlightened route and repressed it as I went.... 

Some days I remember. Like the Sunday Getty won Overall Reverence Child for his primary class for the MONTH of February (short month, but still...). Are you laughing? Turns out he's highly motivated by huge Rice Krispie treats and large bags of Skittles.

I wonder if maybe I'll be awarded a large bag of Skittles for the month of February. I did do a lot of dishes....

7 comments:

Hacking Highlights said...

I love that post. All I can say is ditto. Between Caleb napping and picking up Ryan, I have no time for errands before Ireland and Ethan get home. Then do I want to run errands with 4 kids? I'm struggling to make it to the store for groceries these days. I feel like I hermit, but the laundry is done, floors vacuumed, dishes done, I exercise and shower, bathe the kids daily, and sometimes a good meal is prepared for dinner. Where's my award? Not feeling too much like an overachiever lately, but the family is very functional..so I'm happy.

Heather said...

Wow, Getty! Great job! This is one of my new favorite scriptures, because I often feel the same way: D & C 64:33. Hang in there! I told John that I'm going to hang a sign in my laundry room that says: "I am building the Kingdom of God." (!)

Carrie said...

what have you done to the poor boy?
You definitely deserve 2 or 3 big bags of skittles.

Marianne said...

I love it Lorenne! I feel your pain. I love that your work is "utterly forgettable". Boy that is how I feel today! Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat... kids still don't listen to ya, hubby frowns on cereal for dinner, baby throws cars at your head. Can I trade with someone else for just one day?

Jacqui said...

I loved this post!! Rinse and repeat...what a line. So easily defines what we moms do on a daily basis.

Although, I have to say, I think you're one of the most on-the-ball moms I know. Seriously. You make goals and follow through with them. I am always so impressed.

At the end of all the rinse and repeating will be six (seven?) kids who are good, grateful people. I'll give you a HUGE bag of Skittles in 20 years. Haha.

Shelley said...

So if I do all those things you used to do now...does that mean they will drop by the wayside with time for me too? I actually like your idea of writing everything down, because I also feel like there are a lot of days where I wonder what in the world I spent my time doing. Maybe a huge list would be as rewarding (but not as yummy) as a bag of Skittles.

Unknown said...

I think you deserve more than a bag of skittles! :)