Blog Template

Monday, November 26, 2012

What If?

I've had the feeling again and again that the cause of the accident should have been me. Would have been me.

I'm so grateful I've never heard anyone condemn the driver in Elle's accident, but I've heard angry, negative comments regarding similar situations, sometimes directed at the parents who may or may not have been involved in their child's accident. I don't understand the mentality of someone who would be angry at the driver in a case like ours. In essence, that person is saying, "Personally, I am not capable of causing an accident. I am beyond human frailty. My five senses and my intuition are fail-proof. I am in complete control of my surroundings. There are no other forces at work in this world other than people's agency."

What if the driver agreed at some point in eternity to spare our family the trial of being involved in the accident? What if he agreed to shoulder this burden, so we could have the strength to carry our loss?

What I know for sure is that our family has a deep love and concern for this man we've hardly gotten to know in this life.

Joseph Smith said, "all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven" (D&C 137:10). I don't believe Elle qualified for the Celestial kingdom because of what the driver did. How could one person determine someone else's eternal reward?

My testimony has been strengthened that our Heavenly Father is in charge and is all-knowing and all-powerful and has created a perfect and ultimately successful plan of happiness for His children on earth. And that His work is not frustrated by a mis-timed turn or a stumble or a few seconds earlier or later.
At least, that's how I see it...

5 comments:

Linda Barton said...

One,of the many,amazing things about you is how close you are to the Spirit. 90% of the time when I give counsel to people, I tell them that the words "what if" are a powerful tool of the devil. You have made it more powerful by giving "what if" to Heavenly Father.
I think you will never cease to amaze me...love you :)

Jenni said...

You always have a way of opening the flood gates when I read your posts. You are simply amazing!

Jen V said...

I love you. You are the greatest sister, example, advisor, friend ever. I'm so grateful to have you in my life, to call you my sister, to benefit from your experiences and knowledge and that you have the strength and perspective to share your intimate thoughts with the people you love in such a public way. I love you sis!

jryan8121 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I love this so much, I posted to Facebook for more friends to see. Really amazing.