Blog Template

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Reprieve

Early Sunday morning, we call the kids and ask them to come to the hospital to say good-bye.

And then, to our amazement Elle begins to stabilize. Rob and our former home teacher, President Barker, give Elle a priesthood blessing. Rob is emotional and asks President Barker to be the voice, so Pres. Barker offers Elle a powerful blessing of healing. It is Fast Sunday, and the 35th and 39th wards are including Elle in their fasts.

Elle's blood pressure allows a decrease in life supporting medications, her functioning kidney begins to produce urine, and it appears that her lungs are also improving. Every organ that is damaged has the potential to heal on its own without surgery. Since we have evidence that her brain function is in tact, it is conceivable that she could make a complete recovery. We feel deep relief and are hopeful. Rob and I have our own team of doctor friends that sit with us and discuss her condition with Elle's doctors, each other, and us: Mike (head and neck surgeon), Jay (urologist), Jim (neuro surgeon), and Elle's Uncle Scott (cardiologist).

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday morning are a calm in the stormy, terrifying events of the past two days that allows Rob and I valuable time to face the shock of the situation and begin to process it. Child Life social workers help the kids make molds of Elle's hand and foot, posters to hang in her hospital room, and friendship bracelets—one for Elle and a matching one for themselves.



Family, friends, neighbors, the driver and his mother and sister, our bishop and Relief Society president, and my visiting teachers all visit and offer their support.

In the hallway by the parents' sleep rooms, I read a plaque with a photo of a 14-yr-old boy playing soccer who had passed away. I wonder, "Why should I get to bring my child home when so many others don't?" If she were to die, instead of asking, "Why me?" I wonder, "Why not me?"

Although Elle is stable, I feel a sense of dread as I pray, "Thy will be done."

D&C 42:48: "...he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed."

4 comments:

Kourtni said...

Thank you for sharing such a heartbreaking story, your family amazes me and I love you all so much! Miss you beautiful Elle!

Linda Barton said...

sometimes my least favorite words are "Thy will be done". But at the same time they are reassuring.

Kersten said...

I'm so sorry, we love you guys so much and think about you everyday. You WILL see her and hold her again and she will hug you and thank you for being the most amazing mother.

Martell said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I think of your family each and every day. I hope that you are finding the strength to go on each day. I pray that you have peace at this difficult time. Love you! :)