Blog Template

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

People Are Awesome

One of the twin huge planters on my porch crumbled one day when I was trying to turn it. Two days later, I pulled out of my driveway and drove past my house and noticed these two gorgeous tree pot replacements on my porch!!

Our sweet babysitter from Riverton had this pink angel bear made at Build-a-Bear in Elle's honor. I love that halo.

Over the months, Elle's best friend has brought her flowers, drawings, little rocks, pinwheels, colored pumpkins, and Christmas ornaments and gives her a big hug when she visits her grave. Love that sweet thing.
My Relief Society President, a floral designer, dropped by this personalized floral arrangement with a note, "The color of her soul—'the Lorenne.'" 

Then at Christmas, my porch trees and door were decorated with ornaments and angels.
People have hugged on us, shared their memories and photos of Elle, invited us to lunch, and given us very helpful contacts to other grieving parents.

I have also recognized that some people avoid us, but I'm convinced they worry about what they could say and feel they help most by giving us our space.

All of this leads me to believe that people care. Not just about us and our particular trial—people care about fellow human beings who are suffering and who need love or support.

Although I've tried to avoid hearing details about the Sandy Hook elementary school incident, I love hearing about the support being given to the families of those 20 children. It's an example of the pure and abundant love people have for children and a witness of great hearts in everyday people.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Amazing. It's wonderful to see the goodness of people. So glad you have such wonderful support. Thinking of you! xoxo

Kersten said...

I wish we lived closer so I could give you a big hug everyday. Errr. on second thought, you might be glad we don't love close any more. hahaha! Love ya girlie, thinking and praying for you and your family every single day.