Blog Template

Friday, January 23, 2009

Pigtails to Puberty

Why is it that pigtails have the power to launch my sweet dollface from babyhood into childhood? Must time march on? 

Here's how I see it. In order to enjoy your 15-month-old, you have to say good-bye to your 14-month-old. FOREVER. A death of sorts. Morbid? These are my thoughts. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I happily leave behind. Middle-of-the night feedings, for example. Lugging around a carseat in the crook of my arm all over tarnation. That I can let go. But the baby who thinks I am the moon, the sun, and all the stars, I'll miss her.

My 14-year-old told me the other day, "You're too nice and friendly to my friends. It's embarrassing. You just need to chill." Bless her heart. Some things I won't miss.

But, as I age, I'll tend to forget the small visitor who stands next to me as I have just sat down to eat. She patiently waits for the smell to reach my nose and turn off my stomach, so I'll be sufficiently motivated to freshen her diaper. I'll forget about the inconvenience.

I'll only remember the sweet cheeks (both kinds), the chubby little hands around my neck, the squeals of excitement for tubby time, the plump thumb popped sweetly into her pucker. 

I'll have to say good-bye to my baby. There's no way around it. But... I get to say hello to a brand new toddler. And that's not a bad thing.

5 comments:

Hacking Highlights said...

It makes me laugh that she is so chubby! Those cheeks! Funny that she will probably be a skinny little tyke soon. Scott and I were looking at the picture you posted of Getty flexing with Cy and Cam. He is so skinny and he was a tub when he was younger!

She's a keeper!

Marianne said...

Oh, she's so sweet! Just love that little face. What you said makes me sad that my baby will be 2 soon, not a baby anymore, to be measured in months, but a child. Why do they have to grow up?

Linda Barton said...

Is there a law against locking up the kids until their 18? Just checking.....

She's toooo cute!

Brit H. said...

Love that little puddin' pop. She is such a babe.

Also, I love what MK said about you being too nice to her friends. That is the best backhanded compliment I think that a teenager could give. I hope that I embarass my kids that way(by being too nice) some day.

Jill said...

She is adorable! I can't believe how big she is getting.

It is weird how time can steal our babies away. I was watching old home videos of Casie as a baby. We LOVED that little girl so much and now she doesn't exist any more. Kind of sad...but then again, we love our 10 year old too and hopefully we will love our 11 and 12 and so on.... Maybe our own personal heaven is that we can relive our most favorite days/time that we had on earth. I want all my kids to be 18 months just for a day. I love that age!!!