Blog Template

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Awards


I got this idea from Linda Eyre (author of "Teaching Children Values"). You make up your own awards for whatever positive values you want to reinforce (I used mostly Eyre's ideas, because boy can I copy creativity!). I have used wooden blocks, but the new felt ones are more user-friendly. We take a minute on Sunday to discuss who deserves which award for the week and then hang the award on the person's bedroom doorknob. The letters on these awards stand for:
 
LFR: Leader for the Right
PA: Positive Attitude ("Cheer up! Things will get worse!" [Pres. Packer said that, not me])
RAM: Respect and Manners (desperately seeking)
SA: Soft Answer (Holy crow! This award is rare.)
TF: True Friend
HUP: Honesty Under Pressure ("Tell me the truth, or you're grounded for a week!")
SS: Self-starter ("I did my chores after you told me 8 times.")

Always looking for ways to use positive reinforcement, because (NTB) I've got natural talent for crime and punishment :).

 

3 comments:

Linda Barton said...

I always love you ideas (that you get). Let me know how they work!

Jenni said...

Hi Lorenne! I hope you don't mind, I found you through Marianne's blog. How's life? I wanted to see if I could chat with you (per advice of wise women in my ward) about my last blog post. Maybe you can read it (it's the whole story) and I'd be interested in talking to you. My email is
jen_m555@yahoo.com. Email me and let me know how to get ahold of you. I just need some advice!!!
Thanks and I hope you guys are loving your new home. We miss you!

Jenni said...

Thank you so, so ,so much for leaving the longest post ever on my blog! (Wipe a tear.) Why am I so confused about this? I love your comments and talking about the research, I'll get right on that! I love to hear experiences because it just cements the decision we have more or less already made. You're so awesome! I'm glad you responded. I would really love to order a "Parenting Trevan" manual when it comes it this kind of stuff.
BTW-I love your little door hangers! (I forgot to leave that in my last post...)
So now that I've come close to matching or topping your longest blog post, I'll shut up and start my research. I'll never have another child in July or August again, this stresses me out! Love ya-thanks again! ;)