Blog Template

Friday, February 16, 2018

Cam's Perspective for Elle's would-be 10th birthday


Cam Evans
Elle
It was like any other day of a 6 year old’s life, but it was soon to be a scary and confusing part of my life. It started as a fun day at my new friend Isaac’s house. Soon I had gone to my neighbors driveway seeing my sister in her stretcher. Later that night I had a sleepover with Isaac.
First, I had been dropped off to Isaacś gigantic house, for a fun playdate.  There I stood at their front door  wondering why their house had chains from their balcony or roof coming down into decorative pots. The door opened and I was welcomed in. Isaac ran straight up into his room where there Wii was. We started adventuring the Mario world, but Isaac wanted to play for 3 hours while I could only tolerate one. We had started a small quiet argument but if it weren’t stopped soon, it would get a lot louder. Out of nowhere  Isaac’s mom called, “Cam? It’s time to go home honey!”
Next, we all got into the car. I was soon to find my sister in a driveway, not breathing. Me and Isaac had our faces pressed against the Subarus’ windows because Isaacś mom said their was a helicopter coming down in our very neighborhood. I was so excited. On the last turn it was the first house. The car slowed down and then stopped. I saw the girl in the right hand corner of the driveway.  We all got out when she said we could, and I just started wandering the scene. Firemen were rushing past me, getting the girl into the helicopter. Out of all the craziness I spotted my dad. I ran to him and even before I could ask, “What is going on?” He grabbed me by the shoulders and said, “Go home now.” Then I heard a call of, “Cam! Cam!” I saw my best friend at his house calling me over. I looked at his mom and Isaac’s mom and it seemed they were debating about taking someone home. I was confused. I was scared. Then the parents agreed, and Isaac’s mom apparently won. She beckoned me back to the car, and I obeyed. It was silent in their car for a few seconds, but the mom knew what I was thinking. “That was your sister.” She said quietly. I let the info sink in, and when it came deep enough, I balled. I balled and balled for about 30 minutes not really understanding what had happened.
Then, Isaac invited me to do what I wanted to do, and that made me happy. I wasn’t scared or confused. I wasn’t even thinking about it. My mind had changed because of that little sentence. They had a great big movie room and we watched a movie. It was about 6:30 when the movie finished, so I asked, “When am I going home?” She told me I could either go home, or have a sleepover. I thought, “Sleepover? PARTY!” but I simply said that I wanted a sleepover. We played a few more games on the Wii and Isaac introduced me to “Jack Smith” which I loved. We had dinner, and it was pretty normal after that. Just like home. Then, the sleepover came. We brushed our teeth and slept on their bunk bed, and I got top. Another reason to be happy! I was a little disappointed when we couldn’t play the Wii, but I saw that coming. I was  happy and I didn’t have a care in the world. I fell asleep peacefully.
Suddenly, at 3:05 came and I was woken up by Isaac’s mom. “Cam.” she whispered, “Time to go home.” I realized that this was about Elle, my sister. I was sad again. We drove down silently, with my family in the driveway. I hugged them and it was very quiet after. In the middle of winter at 3AM. Our aunt picked us up and we stayed at the hospital for three days. Everyday me and my brother would go to the playroom and play lots of games, like a sonic arcade game, or just playing with playdoh. The third day came and it was results day. We all waited right outside of her room, and a doctor came out. She had died. We were let in and everyone was crying and balling, except for me.  I was confused again. I was sad again.
I didn’t really want to think about it for about 3 years, but I have learned to deal with it. I really do miss her, and I wish she was back, but it is what it is. I have learned to accept that it’s better that she’s gone, and how miserable she would be if she were still here. It was a scary few days, but it has gotten way better. Now it’s any day of a 6th grader's life, and it’s not too scary to think of it now.





No comments: