Blog Template

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Just over a month ago, I got a call from Mrs. B telling me that Getty had about 18 missing assignments and was basically just goofing off during school. His grades were: B-, C-, C+, and N (F). Nice. So, Getty got a little surprise when he got home. Life as he knew it (come home, pretend his homework was all done, go play with friends) was over. He was grounded. Indefinitely. And how could he entertain himself at home? By doing homework, of course. I did allow (require) him to go back to school after-hours for math tutoring Tuesday through Friday. 
Over the next several weeks I became his personal secretary on another level. One day he mentioned that a couple of friends of his got paid for straight A’s. I laughed (inwardly ;) and told him, “I’ll give you $100 for straight A’s on your final report card.” It was a safe bet.
Or so I thought.
Or, maybe I’m just being outsmarted. Getty is a 5th grader, you know ;)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Nice Job Getty, ( I sure miss him). Thanks for the parenting tip too, never promise $100 for anything, kids will surprise you.

Alli said...

Oh, my! I don't believe it! Well, that just goes to show that kids will go and do just about anything for $100....

Linda Barton said...

Good job...but now you will expect it...who is the smart one? Mom wins again. :)