Blog Template

Friday, March 18, 2016

Work It Out

Working out has become a favorite pastime in our family for some reason, so I thought I'd record what we've all been doing.

[Btw, before I posted this, I read back over it and it's pretty nauseating if it's meant as anything other than a record/journal of our life for only our own family's personal history, so....]

I'll start with a long and boring history of my workouts :)
 
In college, I used to run around Provo and the temple in good weather and the track at BYU's Smith Fieldhouse in bad weather. Sometimes I'd work out with the women's soccer team off-season. When I graduated and we moved to Salt Lake, I ran around Liberty park with my best friend, Michele. In bad weather, I did my favorite Jane Fonda video work out. No, I did not do the moves like she did :)

 
Through 4 babies in our Riverton house, a local Stake President's energetic wife taught a free aerobics class M, W, F at 9:00 a.m. in a nearby stake center gym. We could bring our kids and keep them in the gym with us. The kids would all play together in the overflow while about 30-50 moms did aerobics to mostly 80's pop music. Our kids seemed to love it as much as we did.
[No pics of us at the gym, but in this pic Elle, Cam, Cy and I 
could have been on our way home from aerobics.]

I played co-ed indoor soccer for a couple years when we moved.



I started biking with Elle when she was three. We'd bike with Cam to kindergarten and then ride all over Alpine while Elle would sing songs to me. Such good memories.
[5-year-old Cam took this picture]
For a couple of years after Elle died, I would ride alone along the same routes and always stop at her grave before heading home.
In the summers (and fall/spring when all our kids were in school for the day), Megan and I started loading up our bikes and riding every M, W, F. We drive to our favorite trailhead and bike along the foot of the mountains for not quite an hour and a half. Occasionally we bike up the gorgeous trail in the canyon to Bridal Veil Falls. We talk about everything on our rides. When the weather gets too cold and we can't bike anymore, I go through withdrawals for Megan.

In winter and wet/windy spring, I'll rotate indoor videos: Jackie Warner "Power Circuit Training"

Jill Coleman "Steady State Cardio" and "Kickbox Cardio Advanced"

"Cardio Burn"

 Robert Jones "Recipe for Success"


One of my favorite work outs is when MK comes home and we go on "Winter Walks"—speed walks or sometimes in full snow gear and boots hiking up snowy trails. The best is getting to hear what's on MK's mind.


Which brings me to my next subject: MK
MK plays anywhere from 2 to 5 soccer games a week in a few different indoor leagues. Here she is at BYU's Indoor Practice Facility for Intramurals...


She runs 3 miles on other days, and throws in a Kayla Itsines circuit training workout here and there.

Mia texted me her workout:
  

 

 

 


Getty is in volleyball and track season now, but generally he just runs around like a madman. And he dirtbikes in the summer.






Cy trains and plays in basketball leagues (big surprise)


 
Rob coaches high school volleyball and helps out with Cy's basketball team, goes to his gym in spurts, plays a mean game of ping pong, and he and I sometimes bike and go on walks on weekends in good weather. 
 

 
And Cam plays soccer and gets plenty of exercise just being a kid!






No comments: