Blog Template

Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Battle of St. George

Notice how Cy doesn't have a shirt on? That's because he threw the biggest fit I've ever experienced by him just moments before this shot. Not that the fit lasted for only moments. Oh, no. Twenty-five minutes that seemed to me to be the better part of the day. What caused his crusade? He lost his tennis shoes at a distant park, so he had only flip flops for climbing. We arranged for him to borrow some Teva's. Apparently this was an act of war on our part. No WAY was he wearing someone else's shoes. He'd rather sit in the car in 92 degree weather and wait until the rest of us were done hiking. Well, as you know, that was not an option. In retrospect I could have just let him sprain his ankle wearing his flip flops, but I decided I'd rather sit on him and put the dang Teva's on him and get hiking! So we were locked in a battle of wills, which is something to avoid if at all possible (should have gone the flip flop route), and you know when you're in combat with your kids, you'd better not lose or your government will be overthrown, and you can say good-bye to your parental reign. So, back to the shirt. I figured with all his kicking and screaming in that hot weather that he was on the verge of dehydration, so we lost the shirt but kept the Teva's. I think through all of this, we have a healthy new respect for each other. I can better appreciate Cy's need for a good night's sleep. As for Cy, he knows who's in charge. Just look at his smug little face.  

3 comments:

Jen V said...

What a little punk! Never thought Cy would be the one to push so hard!

I hoped you'd post more pics from your St. George trip... maybe soon?

Mia said...

Jen,

Our computer is on the blink. I may have lost ALL of our photo booth and pics (including St. George)! Hopefully we'll be up and running soon.

Unknown said...

This is such a funny story. Cy is amazing. i just love him sooooooo much. He is hilarious, I can't believe that he was being a devil - he just looks so cute and content. I adore him.