Blog Template

Friday, June 5, 2009

De-Clutter, Part Deux



De-Cluttering Tips by Shari Warner

Kids rooms. The best rule of thumb is to do your kids’ rooms when they are gone. If they are neat, they will miss what you get rid of, but if they were neat you wouldn’t have to be de-junking their rooms. They won’t miss much if anything. With eight kids and 18 years of motherhood I have tossed very little that was noticed. If your child protests your announcement that you will be cleaning his room, give him a set amount of time to take care of his territory, say two weeks. Tell him that if he does not take care of the cleaning in that period of time, you have the right to clean it for him. I am almost certain you will get the job.

Keep bedrooms simple: just a bed and a dresser. On the bed, just a comforter and fitted sheet for easy-to-make beds.

Counter clutter. Should be non-existent. If junk mail is discarded immediately, there should be little left to clutter counter tops. Find a place for everything and put everything in its place.

Junk drawer: Most of it is junk. Toss it. For the rest, purchase a drawer organizer.

Tupperware-type containers and lids. No lids, warped or melted, get rid of them. Too many? Out they go.

Broken or missing parts to anything—it’s outta here!

Recipe books. If you have book after book that you haven’t used in the past three years, donate them. If you have books with only one recipe you use, cut that one out and add it to a book you use. Clipped out recipes you’ve never tried, out they go.

Small appliances not used in the last three years. If in working condition, donate. If broken, toss.

Fridge. Keep leftovers for two days, then toss.

Next post: Favorite Organizing Tips

5 comments:

Jen V said...

Yahoo! I am lovin' this!! I also have a big smile on my face because I some of these ideas are already part of my routine.

I am so inspired to de-clutter! Thanks for the tips - keep 'em coming!!

Linda Barton said...

Keep going...I'm alomst inspired to make some changes.......ALMOST!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great ideas! I heard you did a great job at enrichment night. I wish I could have been there! :)

Jen V said...

OK Renzo, I've got one for you...
What do you suggest for the stuff you aren't currently using - but hope to someday. Like baby stuff (a whole load of stuff!) or hand me down clothes, etc.

I currently have all that stuff in totes, labeled and they are in the garage (on shelves - at the top of the ceiling). I also have a tote under each kids bed labeled "too small" that I add to when appropriate - then once or twice a year I box it up and add it to the garage - when I usually get the next size box o' clothes down.

What have you done? AND the all important question - are you starting to get rid of your baby stuff? Or are you ready for another round!! We are hoping to get pregs in Jan.

As soon as Izzie goes down for her nap - I am whippin' this place into shape! Thx for the tips.

Mia said...

Jen, you've got it handled! You know my big, empty basement? That's where the baby stuff and hand-me-down clothing bins are stored. (Not getting rid of the baby stuff...yet.) I have under-bed bins for off-season/too small clothes, too. I've loved that idea.

As for Baby, Rob insists we're done. It's hard for me to commit to that yet, so... either Rob will have a miraculous change of heart, or I'll adjust and move on with my life....