Blog Template

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Our Year for Elle

Grandma and Cousin Sarah

About a year ago, I got this email from Cousin Sarah:


"... I know that pretty soon you will be facing a year since Elle’s accident and although that is a date that I am certain will be painful for your family, I feel prompted to ask you if in memory of Elle and in commemoration of her life and her divine nature as a daughter of Heavenly Father, if we could ... complete the Personal Progress Program in memory of who she is by virtue of her eternal spirit.

"I thought we could start it off on the date of the accident and if we can stick to task we should be able to complete it by the following February.... I was thinking we could call it ‘Our Year For Elle’.... 

"I know that we are not a family that really talks about emotion but Elle really has brought us closer, in both her life and her death and has given us all the strength to continue, and I thought that this would be a great way to celebrate her gifts to us.

"I love you Lorenne, and think of you always,

Sarah xxx"


Thanks to Sarah, here are a few things we girls did to earn our Personal Progress medallions:

Faith: Read New Testament (Mia)


Divine Nature: Practiced being a peacemaker for 2 weeks and journaled results (Mia)

[pics from Pinterest and Sugardoodle]
Individual Worth: Compiled Elle's personal history (me)









Knowledge: Read "To Draw Closer to God," by Henry B. Eyring (me)


Choice and Accountability: Studied the principles of repentance and applied them in our lives (all of us) 






Good Works: Found family names and did baptisms in the temple (MK)













Integrity: Studied people in the scriptures who had integrity, journaled, and shared in a church lesson (MK)

Virtue: Read the Book of Mormon (all of us)









I texted Sarah and MK asking them to send me selfies wearing their medallions. This was MK's response:




(BTW, "Kunkihauna" is the alias she gave herself when she was four.)


And then she just played me.


Not funny.



Yes, I did send her a pic of her patriarchal blessing, and No, she did not send me a Personal Progress selfie. Whatever.

The important thing is that Elle is so awesome that she doesn't need her Personal Progress medallion.


But we do.


And we did.




3 comments:

Melissa Stone said...

I LOVE this! This is such a neat idea! Do you have to have a daughter in YW to do this or can anyone do it?

Mia said...

Anyone can do it! :) Love hearing from you! We need to catch up!

NSCorb said...

I have been following your blog for a while now, probably about a year. I find your strength and courage inspiring! I also grew up with cousin Sarah in Britain, and had no idea she was related to you!
What a great idea.
You are amazing and i'm grateful to be able to read your life story from across the pond! Thank you for all you share! :)