Blog Template

Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Daily" Devotional


Years ago, I heard that President Kimball had urged families to sing a hymn every day, along with scripture study and prayer with great promises to reward their efforts. I was not about to pass on those blessings for our kids, so we've been having daily devotionals before bedtime ever since ("daily" meaning "frequently," right?). I was surprised at one of the immediate pay-offs—hymns provide quick access to the Spirit. I have found that a hymn is a three-minute spiritual experience/lesson every time. And somehow it diffuses irritability and restlessness better than anything I know.

Plus, we tell the kids devotionals are optional. If they don't want to join in or they're rowdy (never happens :), then they can go on to bed. If they stay, they sing and read one verse of the scriptures in turn. (This photo was actually taken by an exiled Mia, who agreed to take pictures but was too naughty to participate.) We finish with a prayer huddle on our knees and group hug (that more often than not turns into a group tackle and take down). Then, Rob piggy-backs the kids to bed. Good and night!

4 comments:

Jen V said...

I've thought for many, many years (pretty much since MK was born) that you are the perfect parent - this is just another example of that!!
It's so hard for me to get my 3 to do ANYTHING quietly - and you manage to get all 6 of yours in line... oy vey... I've got a lot of work to do!

Kersten said...

Wow, what can't you do? You are amazing, such a great example for us heathens. ;) Seriously we try and read 2 chapters every night then have family prayer. It's wonderful when we can do an entire week. I think I'll try and get them to sing a hymn before reading and see what happens. Good job Mama.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I love your family. I LOVE singing hymns. When we went on long car journeys we would all sing Primary songs, and it is one of my favourite memories of growing up. I think families that sing hymns together have much better access to the spirit and are able to draw closer together as a result. You are amazing. I am in awe of you and all you do for your family.

Marianne said...

I love it. Thanks for the great idea!!