Blog Template

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Never Gonna Live This Down






We had an “awesome” FHE lesson last night. It started out well . . . I bought a can of dog food and promised the kids I would pay them $100 if they ate one spoonful of the beefy, cheesy, doggie gunk (mmm, mmm good). They all were jumping up and down, beyond excited. Within about ten minutes of nose-plugging and dancing up and down, M&M and PG, eyes shut tightly, had each gulped down a spoonful. Getty made sure he was the first, which sealed it for M&M, who weren’t about to be shown up by their younger brother. Finally Cy, tears streaming down his face, kids yelling, “You can do it--we all did!” took a tiny bite, we called it good, and then the fun started. Cy threw up . . . four times. Rob and I sat the four of them down and explained how some choices are obviously bad—drugs, teen pregnancy, lying, eating dog food . . . but people still choose them. Why? Bottom line, Satan promises that it won’t hurt to try it once, you won’t get pregnant—that only happens to other people, no one will ever know . . . but these are all lies. Then there’s peer pressure. Why did you eat dog food? An obvious bad choice, but we were all cheering you on, Getty wanted to be the big man, and we promised you money. Then we read the kids a few scriptures about how Satan is the father of all lies. Then I said, “Guess what? We promised you $100 to make a bad choice. We lied just like Satan does. You don’t get $100. . . . (This is where it all goes down the toilet [with the vomit].) Getty went positively NUCLEAR (surprise, surprise). Weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, etc. The kids did get a $10 consolation prize, but as you might have guessed, it was too little, too late. Among Getty’s many lively railings were these, “I’ll never believe you again!” and “My parents are liars!” and, my personal favorite, “You ARE Satan!” McKenzie and Mia gave me nasty crusties. Seewhutimean? “Awesome.”

5 comments:

Hacking Highlights said...

Oh so funny!!! That just made my day! That has to be the all time most creative FHE! I think I'll try that on my kids! I'm sure Ireland and Ethan would have Getty's reaction!! Funny! Funny!

Brit H. said...

I still can't believe that you guys did that! I love it! It is an FHE that they will never forget! haha. AWESOME!

Cindy said...

I laughed so hard reading that. Especially where Getty says "You are Satan". Poor kid, must have been a huge disapointment but I bet you got the message across. You guys are so creative! I'll have to write that one down for when my kids get a little older.

Unknown said...

Oh Bless - I cannot believe that you did actually have them eat dog food!!!! Did you know that if you mix blackcurrent jello and chopped up mars bar and put it into the fride to set, it LOOKS just like dog food... we used to use that recipe a lot in youth - I used it once in YSA but Elder Johnson threw up just watching me eat it - it is really effective - you just make it up in a can the same size as a dog food can and steam the label off the dog food can and then glue it on the peaches can. Maybe the kids would have actually appreciated the dog food a little more if it had really been jello and mars bar. That is terrible. I wish I had been there - I would not stop laughing for weeks!

Jen V said...

Babysat your kids today and saw the March edition of the "EE" on the fridge. I was laughing through the whole thing. First thing I thought was "why is Lorenne depriving us of all the mishaps and adventures in her world?" BUT a few hours later we finally got our computer hooked up (after 4 days) and saw that you did share this with us! Yeah!!!

Patrick read the FHE part of your blog and said "that sounds like something your Dad would do".