Blog Template

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Change

So, my resolutions in the Emotional category are many and for good reason: I have GOT to change my general approach from stressed to happy! As I described it to Megan, "My general mood is not mad—it's waiting to be mad." As the kids have grown and required new parenting adjustments, along with maintaining the little kids, I didn't compensate by acquiring more coping skills. I read a lot about stress, parenting strategies, and anger-management (chronic anger means you're trying to control someone—haha that rung a bell :). But, as I contemplated making this change, I got so bogged down thinking how on earth am I going to change my very nature? My task-oriented, productive, plow-through, do-it-now core attitude, which translates into seeing/dealing with whiny, messy, forgetful kids as obstacles instead of my LIFE and my loves, which they are. I had just about convinced myself that I was stuck with my personality as is. But, humbled as I was (very), I prayed for strength and for measurable progress and had a thought: I could at least try an experiment. I would try to go an entire day without reacting stressfully, and I would track this as an "H" (happy) on my calendar ("S" for acting stressed out at any point during the day).

Tracking is critical for me. Last year I made resolutions and then promptly forgot all about them. This year I'm posting them in my closet and tracking some on my calendar, so I remember, I'm accountable, and I can hopefully see progress right there in black and white.

So far, I'm 15 "H's" for 15 days. It's been hard. I'm committed to make "H's" 21 days in a row, so then it'll technically be a habit. Then I'll work up to a full month, then longer. (I'll allow for a few mistakes IF I can tell I've made a fundamental change. Otherwise, I'll be in the depths...) But for now it's one challenging day at a time. Whereas before, I got my stress out through venting and through my tone of voice, now I carry that stress inside of me. I was surprised the first few days to actually feel it sitting there in my chest all day.

This is the part where I need to develop some serious coping skills. I figure it starts with my thoughts. I used to think I could talk all crazy-mad and sarcastic to myself just as long as the kids didn't hear it, but I realize now that it just feeds my stress, and it gets bigger... and sometimes the kids do hear me. And I need to adjust my expectations. And breathe. The biggest shift in my paradigm happened when it occurred to me—"If I'm mad, I can't have the Spirit with me. So even if I'm 'right,' I'm wrong." And we all know how I hate to be wrong :)

It is getting easier as the days pass. You can't believe how rewarding it is. The changes I've recognized in my kids at times and in the tone of the home flat out amaze me. Elle follows me around like a puppy dog—she just wants to be near me (she's not afraid of me anymore? ouch...) Mia asked, "Why are you so happy all the time now?" After Cam reported to me that Elle had peed the carpet for the 900th time (ok, we'll say 50th), Cam asked me, "Are you mad?" ...because he can't tell!!! I've confused everyone! It's awesome. And honestly, I'm not mad. The more days that pass, I find that I can accept most situations immediately (which requires a good dose of humility) and get straight to the solution. As long as I can stay focused on my number one priority—to not flip out—then, the whole world can fall apart temporarily, and I won't crumble along with it.

The kids' tantrums and disrespect are shorter-lived. Except when they're not. Mia, MK, and Getty in particular have decided they'd better train me good and hard by pulling out all the stops. The toughest test of my resolve was facing Getty after I informed him that I found out he had several missing assignments (typical), and that he would have to find or re-do them that weekend. After Getty went nuclear for three hours, during which I kept him in his room for the duration of the meltdown and tried to stay out of earshot (and tried to ignore the elephant sitting on my chest, and yes I'll be heading for a heart attack if I don't start coping better), I found a little note scrawled onto our chalkboard, "I Love You Mom." It's not that I did anything great, I just didn't get upset. That made all the difference. Normally, I would have wondered aloud why on earth he can do the work but just can't seem to turn the dang paper in... blah blah blah. But now he doesn't see me as the enemy—the one who is all disappointed and frustrated with him. He and the rest of the kids recognize that since I'm not stressed, it must be their problem, not mine.
The biggest revelation to me? Change is possible. Rob said to me, "I think I have an idea now how you've felt about my changes in the last two years. I watch you, and it's just not you." I hope it's the new me. But I'm still not out of the woods. A week longer for the first milestone. Wish me more than luck.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow, Lorenne. You are such a great example to me! You're awesome!

Cindy said...

Good luck! I struggle with some of the same things. It is very hard to change our nature, but it is possible. I've got lots of things I need to change about the way I naturally think, and respond to things. You inspire me to want to start an experiment of mine own here. By the way, you've been posting a lot more lately. It's been fun to read. :)

Linda Barton said...

Good luck, change is hard especially when it is sometimes what seems like a life long habit. But one thing I know about you is that you study and strive to be a learner. When you learn something that you feel you need to integrate into your life you never hesitate, I admire and respect that quality about you. You are always an example to me of getting up when you're down, and never quitting cuz hey, we just can't quit. you are da' bomb!

Rekehl Johnson said...

Oh my heck - this is me! I actually go teary reading this because I have been struggling hugely with the issue of always appearing to be mad and upset because it's not done now or my way. I feel my children pulling away and I hate the feeling in our home when I'm upset. I didn't know anyone else struggled with this issue and thought I was the only one.

You have inspired me I am seriously going to try this. I'm so tired of being the enemy and I too have heard many times "are you mad?" So what I want to know is what do you do with your frustration and anger when you don't release it? Fake it? Pretend and hide it? Can you just bottle up inside and be okay? Changing your nature - can I do this?

Your post was inspiring and an answer. I want to be like you when I grown up.

Scott said...

You are my idol! I'm working on the same thing! It's hard but as long as I'm striving toward the goal of being a better mom, I'm making progress! And I can always look to you for more inspiration!

Jen V said...

I love you so much! I love that you are such a tremendous example to me b/c all of the tremendous research, effort, ideas and thought that go into how you approach everything in life - being a wife, Mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc. As I always say "I want to be just like my big sister when I grow up"
What makes me love you even more? That you don't sugar coat anything. You don't pretend to be something that you aren't. You don't pretend to have the perfect family (even though you pretty much do!) You put your faults right out there for the world to see.
That, my amazing sister is only one of the reasons why I love you so much. Sharing the fact that you struggle and strive to be a better person and the fact that (as I've said) you air all your dirty laundry makes me feel like I can actually be like you someday. You aren't a fairy tale or a myth - you are a real person with real problems just like me - only better! LOL
I miss not seeing you...

PS I really hope you blow up that pic of G and Cy kissin on you - one of the best pics ever!!

Marianne said...

Lorenne, that's fabulous of you to post this so we can all learn from you. You can change, I know you can! I believe in you, I've seen you do so many hard things that I am amazed.

I love quotes, and I post them everywhere. But there's only one quote that is next to my computer, in the kitchen, where I always am. Do you mind if I print it here, in case it can help you?

By Elder Theodore M. Burton, "Whenever you get red in the face, whenever you raise your voice, whenever you get 'hot under the collar', or angry, rebellious, or negative in spirit, then know that the Spirit of God is leaving you and the spirit of Satan is beginning to take over."

Heather said...

This is so inspiring, thank you! Can I just add...? A book that helped me tremendously in staying calm during trouble/misbehavior, etc. is a book 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan. Tommy's speech therapist recommended it and I'm so glad she did. When you mentioned that it's their problem, not yours, it reminded me of it.
Thanks again for writing with such honesty- this is really wonderful!